Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Activism Blog #5

   This past half week has been really offbeat in regards to the service learning projects at hand. I have began a rough draft letter to UCF President Hitt as part of our group's letter writing campaign in order to encourage UCF to recognize Equal Pay Day as a campus community. The letter will be revised and added to on our group meeting we will hold after class on Thursday, April 5. The process has been a bit more difficult and slow-paced as our small class grieves the loss of one of our fellow students. I feel this has impacted my ability to concentrate on the project this week but am sure that we will make this bake sale and forum even better once we have time to regain ourselves. Other than seeing Kelly in class, I've had no contact with my community partner, though I will on Thursday during our meeting.
   I don't feel that I have anything useful to offer in relating class material to the work that I have done this past half week, as I haven't accomplished much towards the final outcome. I did, however, realize the preciousness of life, my own mortality, and the importance of the motherline (which is material I discovered from this class). It made me reach out to my own mother, who in turn volunteered to speak at our forum if needed. I feel this greatly affected my personal life and hopefully the relationship I have with my mother, in a positive light.
  Though I don't have much to offer in regards to service learning input, I do feel as if the work that I will dedicate to this project in the next couple of weeks will be more passionate and have a bigger purpose. I am looking forward to putting the bake sale together, though I will miss the presence of Kathy there with us. My involvement with the bake sale at all makes me feel like I am doing something good; calling for equality and giving back.
   

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post and for your honest work here.

    ReplyDelete